Monday, March 12, 2007

Portuguese Sweet Bread



I found this recipe on www.recipezaar.com/
When I was a kid, I used to spend almost every summer at my Aunt and Uncle's house at the beach. There was a lady who went to their church, and she made the best home-made bread. Since then, I have searched for a similar recipe for sweet bread, and this is the closest one I've found. So, even though I've never made bread before, I thought I would give this a try. It turned out great! It's the second-best bread I've ever eaten. I wouldn't really recommend this for an amateur bread-maker (like me), because it is a lot of work, but it was still worth it in the end.

Portuguese Sweet Bread


1 tsp. - Sugar, plus
3/4 cup - Sugar

1/2 cup - lukewarm Water

1 package - active dry Yeast
or (1 Tbsp. active dry Yeast)
6 - Eggs
, (room temperature)
1 tsp. - Salt

1 cup - warm Milk

8 cups - all-purpose Flour

1/2 cup - Butter
, (melted and cooled)

Topping:

4 tsp. Butter

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In a measuring cup, dissolve 1 tsp. Sugar in lukewarm Water
sprinkle in Yeast and let stand for 10 minutes, or until frothy.

In a large bowl, beat Eggs, Salt and remaining 3/4 cup Sugar for 2 minutes, or until foamy.

Stir Yeast mixture vigorously with fork and stir into Egg mixture.

Stir in Milk and gradually beat in Flour.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.

Return dough to bowl and gradually add Butter.

Continue kneading until all Butter is blended into dough.

Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all over.

Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 1 hour.

Punch down dough; turn out, divide into four portions and form each portion into a ball.

Knead each ball for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.

Cover dough and set aside on well-floured board or counter top for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until dough looks slightly puffy and surface is crusty.

Place dough on well greased baking sheet or 9" round pans and bake in 325* oven for 25 minutes, or until golden on top.

Turn off heat and leave bread in oven for 10 minutes, or until browned all over.

Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Place 1 tsp. Butter on each loaf and brush to coat top. Blot off excess with paper towels.

Makes four 9-inch breads.

No comments: