Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The 'Burbs

I just realized that I haven't done a movie review in a while, so here's a new one...



~ Movie Review ~

The 'Burbs
This movie has been vastly underrated. I love Tom Hanks; he's one of my favorite actors, and this particular film is way at the top of my list of favorites. I remember the first time I watched it: I was around twelve, and my brother, myself, and all our friends were crowded around the den TV. I remember thinking that it was a strange movie, but I loved it! To this day, it remains one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's packed full of great actors.

{Side Note: My parents were extras in a Bruce Dern movie.}

There are certain scenes that crack me up every time I see them. For example, the scene with: the sardines, "Pinocchio", and when Tom Hanks walks down the Klopek's front stairs for the last time. You would have to watch the movie to understand what I mean... which I seriously recommend that you do. If you like Tom Hanks, Corey Feldman, or "dark comedy", you'll love this film.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The 'Burbs is a 1989 black comedy directed by Joe Dante, starring, amongst others, Tom Hanks, Carrie Fisher, Corey Feldman, and Bruce Dern, and written by Dana Olsen The film pokes fun at suburban environments (particularly in the US), and their eccentric dwellers.
In his typical "good guy" mode, Hanks plays Ray Peterson, a loving family-man with an ordinary life. This changes when a mysterious family, the Klopeks, move in next door. Ray's two neighbors (work-shy slacker Art and paramilitary nut Rumsfield) believe the Klopeks are actually a family of murderers who killed Walter, the old man in the next house over. Ray and the other two turn detective to solve the mystery.
The film was one of the few starring Tom Hanks that failed at the box office. However, it did establish a large cult following that still exists.

(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars. *****


Interesting Trivia:
Mayfield Place, as it is called in the movie, is actually Colonial Street, a set on the backlot of Universal Studios. The houses (many of which are just façades) have been used in countless television shows, movies, and music videos through the years. Perhaps the most notable is The Munsters' house, which is home to the Butler family in The 'Burbs. Two new houses, which were built specifically for the movie, were Walter Seznick's (which is still there to this day, see Desperate Housewives) and the Klopeks'.
The Klopeks' house was not completely destroyed, and remained almost intact as it appeared in The 'Burbs for a number of years, albeit without the tower. The whole building can be clearly seen in a Season Two episode of Quantum Leap. The Klopeks' house no longer exists in an easily recognisable form (the Van de Kamp house in Desperate Housewives) but the right-façade does still have some features of the original style. The original Klopek garage sits alongside the house, in much the same style as in The 'Burbs.


~*Quote of the day*~

Ray Peterson:
I've never seen that. I've never seen anybody drive their garbage down to the street and bang the hell out of it with a stick. I-I've never seen that.




~*Words of the day*~

Tenki wa dou desu ka? (Japanese)

Meaning: How's the weather?



Currently Listening to... "Maroon 5" - Wasted Years

3 comments:

Sebastien Millon said...

Been meaning to see this, now I'm even more motivated. And Corey Feldman is in this?!!! Haha, that guy, he's so random, what are those movies he's in, Dream a Little Dream 1 2 and 3...

Moonbeam Baby said...

Corey Feldman is a funny guy... I've never seen Dream a Little Dream, but I loved him in "The Goonies".

Sebastien Millon said...

Oh yeah, I saw Goonies soooo long ago... Dream a Little Dream is so bad it's good, well, I think I've seen the 2nd one, so I guess that's the one I'm talking about.