Saturday, May 5, 2007

I wanna go... Take me, take me NOW...


Woe is me... Today is the last day of the Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil. I've never been, and I really, really wanted to go this year. What is it, you ask? If you're not from the south, you may not know about it, so I'll explain... The Crawfish Boil is a Birmingham tradition that's been going on for years. They have great bands, and great food. This year, the bands were as follows:

On Friday:

Operator
Cracker
Spin Doctors
Akon
Hinder
Cheap Trick
~ ~ ~

On Saturday (today):

Soul Asylum
Fuel
Papa Roach
Collective Soul
Barenaked Ladies

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday's lineup was good, but I'm dying to see today's show! I've asked everybody, but no one wants to go with me. Okay, so it might rain, and it's a pretty long drive from here --- who cares! It's worth it.

I need more friends with my kind of taste in music... I wish my brother was home, he's been there before, and he might actually go with me. I want to go! It's so unfair. I love music so much, but I've never been to a concert in my entire life! How depressing is that?
Now I'm sad... : (


History:
The Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil is a Birmingham tradition that like a child, started small then kept growing and growing. Eighteen years ago, Aaron and Phyllis Beam entertained friends with 50 pounds of hot boiled crawfish in their backyard, an annual ritual that dates back to Aaron's days at LSU. After a few years, things got out of hand
Because the Beams threw such a good party, they discovered people were getting invitations "for friends" and selling them. So, Aaron decided he could charge admission and give the profits to charity. The event moved from the Beam's backyard to Sloss Furnace, next to the Birmingham Race Course, and then to Southside. Although people enjoyed the event the proceeds were not great.
While Aaron was looking for corporate dollars to cover expenses, Dr. Jack Schaeffer was looking for a sponsorship opportunity for his Birmingham-based company Schaeffer Eye Center. The two visionaries partnered to turn the event into a free street festival in Birmingham 's Lakeview area. The benefiting charity, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, was chosen because both men served on its board of trustees. The corporate VIP area was born when Dr. Schaeffer suggested corporate sponsors could "buy" restaurants for the day to use as hospitality areas. The first official Schaeffer Eye Center / Beam's Crawfish Boil raised $15,000. As the event grew a few things changed, but for the better…
In 1995, the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center is added as a beneficiary, and a $2 donation is requested at the gate.
In 1997, Crawfish Chef Barry Gerald prepared 15,000 pounds of Crawfish for the 45,000 festival goers.
In 1998, the Crawfish Crawl 5k drew 300 runners and more media attention for the event. The children's area expanded and Cajun artist George Rodrigue painted the first of three "Blue Dog" posters for the event.
In 1999, the festival site moved to Pepper Place with an indoor warehouse for the VIP area. The event raised $100,000 for charity.
In 2000, the Schaeffer Eye Center/Beam Crawfish Boil moved to the Birmingham 's Railroad district at 1st Avenue South & 1th Street. This provided a new home for the Boil's future.
In 2002, Camp Smile-A-Mile and the Tanner Center for Multiple Sclerosis were the recipient charities.
In 2003, the event expanded to two-days with 17 musical acts. Benefiting charities included Camp Smile-A-Mile, the Tanner Center for Multiple Sclerosis and the Birmingham Junior League.
In 2004, the two day event brought acts like Sister Hazel, Cowboy Mouth and Collective Soul to Birmingham. Record crowds ensured that the Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil will remain a cornerstone event in Birmingham.
2005 continued the two day event format and brought a record number of people out to enjoy bands like the Wallflowers, Drivin' and Cryin', Tonic and Hootie & the Blowfish.

6 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

I would have gone with you. That lineup is awesome!

Moonbeam Baby said...

I know!
If you lived here, we could have gone together and had a great time... *sigh* instead I stayed home and cleaned --- how boring.

dmarks said...

I've never had crawfish. Are they more like lobster, or more like prawns?

Moonbeam Baby said...

It's been years since I've eaten a crawfish, but I think they taste a little more like lobster (with a stronger taste), but some might disagree with me on that...

I mostly wanted to go see the bands play, but I would've tried the crawfish too. : )

david santos said...

Thanks for you work, is very good, thank you and have a good day

Moonbeam Baby said...

Thank you, too!