Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Illusionist


The Illusionist
This movie grabbed my attention from the first time I saw the preview. I wanted to see it, but I ended up waiting until the DVD was released. Why? Because the last time I went to the movie theater, it cost me $13.50 for one ticket and a bag of M&Ms. Plus, we have a theater room anyway. So I can watch it while wearing my PJs, without having to worry about some jackass talking on his cell phone, or coughing on the back of my neck.
I wasn't really sure what I was expecting, I didn't even read the back of the dvd case to see what it was about. I was pleasantly surprised. This movie was more unique than I had originally thought. I saw the ending coming, but I didn't know how it would happen. There was a twist.
I don't remember seeing Edward Norton in anything else, but he was great in this role, and Paul Giamatti is always great. I don't usually like Jessica Biel, but even she was good in this movie.

I really enjoyed this movie, and I would like to watch it again someday.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The film begins in the middle of the story, as chief inspector Uhl (Giamatti) recounts the history of Eisenheim for Crown Prince Leopold, following Eisenheim's arrest during what appears to be necromancy passed off as a magic show.
As a teenager, Eisenheim is the son of a carpenter. One day, he meets a traveling magician along a road. The magician performs several tricks for him and then, according to various accounts, both the magician and the tree he was sitting under vanish. Eisenheim becomes obsessed with magic tricks after this and also falls in love with Sophie (Biel), a duchess well above his social standing, and the daughter of the parents that have hired Eisenheim's father as a cabinet-maker. Although the two are forbidden to see each other, they meet in a secret hideout in the woods, where Eisenheim tells of his plans to go to China to learn more magic and Sophie promises to go with him. On the day that they are going to leave, however, the police come looking for Sophie. The two hide in the secret room and Sophie begs Eisenheim to make them both disappear. He is unable to fulfill this request, however, and the two are separated. Eisenheim leaves his village to travel the world and perfect his magic after this. He returns a master illusionist, only to find that Sophie is expected to marry the ruthless Crown Prince Leopold (Sewell)...
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. ****


~*Quote of the day*~

Fame comes only when deserved, and then is as inevitable as destiny, for it is destiny.


~*Word of the day*~

Mahou (Japanese)

Meaning: Magic

1.
The art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
2.
The art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.


Currently Listening to... "Stay With You" - Goo Goo Dolls

No comments: