Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Prestige


~ Movie Review ~

The Prestige
This movie was very different from what I thought it would be. I'm a little bit torn... on one hand, this was a very good movie... but on the other, it's not the kind of story I normally like. It was full of good actors, but aside from Cutter, played by Michael Caine, I didn't like any of the characters. I really didn't care which ones got killed off.

Usually I can guess how a movie is going to end, long before it happens, and that was true of this movie too - mostly. I figured out how Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman) did his trick, and the secret about the murder, but I didn't know how Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) did his trick until the very end.

Everyone else seemed to love the film, but the ending left me feeling a little depressed. Like I've mentioned in previous reviews, I like happy endings. The movie itself was great; I just wish the mood hadn't been so dark the whole time, and I really didn't like what happened to the poor birds. I know it wasn't real, but even so, I didn't want to see it...
~ * ~ * ~ *~

The film is split into three storylines, each resembling one of the three stages of magic. First, there is the setup, or the "pledge," where the magician shows the audience something that appears ordinary, but is probably not, making use of misdirection. Then there is the performance, or the "turn," where the magician makes the ordinary act extraordinary. Lastly, there is the "prestige," where the effect of the illusion is produced. There are "twists and turns, where lives hang in the balance and you see something shocking you've never seen before."
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I give this movie 3 and a half out of 5 stars. ***'


~*Quote of the day*~

Ambition is so powerful a passion in the human breast, that however high we reach we are never satisfied.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


~*Words of the day - Recap*~

(Japanese)

Ichi - One
Ni - Two
San - Three
Shi - Four
Go - Five
Roku - Six
Shichi - Seven
Hachi - Eight
Kyu - Nine
Ju - Ten

Currently Listening to... "Vertigo" - U2

No comments: