Friday, February 23, 2007

Jurassic Park


~ Movie Review ~

Jurassic Park
I can't believe it took me so long to remember to review this movie. I know it's pretty old, but it's still one of my favorite movies of all time. I can clearly remember going to see it at the movie theater when it first came out. I was still a kid then, and I was impressed with the posters and decorations in the lobby. There was a huge cardboard T-rex in the corner, and long banners hanging from the ceiling. The line to buy a ticket was unbelievably long; it was probably the most sold-out movie I've ever been to. By the time we got our tickets and popcorn, the seats were almost full. We managed to find a few seats together, and I was sitting on the very end, by the right wall. The movie started, and I really didn't know what to expect. Everyone else in my family had already read the Michael Crichton novel, so they had a pretty good idea of what would happen, but movies are always different from the books they're based on.

I LOVED this movie. It really blew me away. The special effects were so amazing! They were far superior to any other movie at the time, and are still better than a lot of movies you see today. The acting was great, and the plot was really convincing - you could actually believe it was possible to clone Dinosaurs, or, at least I could. Everyone always talks about the T-rex, but it was the Raptors that got to me. The scene with Lex and Tim in the kitchen scared the crap out of me. I was almost convinced that a Raptor would pop through the wall beside me and bite my head off. Give me a break... I was just a kid. There was another child in the seat behind us, and he was crying. His dad tried to console him by telling him that, "It's just Barney".... Poor kid...

I've seen this movie at least 20 times. I know it word for word, and I've read the book twice. I'm the kind of person who, when I love a movie, I'll watch it many times. When I was really small, my favorite movie was 101 Dalmatians (The original animated version). My parents used to joke that I watched that movie 101 times. Even though it was a joke, the reality is that I probably watched it more than that.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Jurassic Park is a 1993 science fiction film directed by Steven Spielberg, based upon the novel of the same name written by Michael Crichton. The story involves scientists visiting an amusement park of genetically engineered dinosaurs on an island over one weekend. Sabotage sets the carnivorous dinosaurs on the loose, and technicians and visitors attempt to escape the island. The film stars Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern and Richard Attenborough, as well as Stan Winston Studios' puppets and cutting-edge CGI by Industrial Light and Magic.
Since its release it has grossed $914,691,118, the eighth-highest worldwide box office take for a feature film. It also helped introduce CGI to the public. The film was followed by The Lost World: Jurassic Park in 1997 and by Jurassic Park III in 2001, neither of which was as financially successful or as critically acclaimed as the first. A fourth film is in development.
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars. *****

~*Quote of the day*~

John Hammond: All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked, nothing.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: But, John. But if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.
Jurassic Park


~*Word of the day*~

Ju (Japanese)

Meaning: Ten


Currently Listening to... "Hands Down" - Dashboard Confessional

3 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Seeing Jurassic Park on a huge movie screen with a packed house way back when is just about the most fun I've ever had at the movies .. a great movie indeed

Moonbeam Baby said...

I totally agree.

Nikki Neurotic said...

I used to love this movie, though sadly never saw it in theaters (too scared!). I haven't seen it in so long though, but at one point I probably had the whole movie memorized as well.