Saturday, February 10, 2007

Signs


You've probably already noticed by now, but I almost always write my posts at night. Mostly because I'm busy (or lazy) during the day. Also, because I usually only watch movies at night, and a large portion of my blog is dedicated to movie reviews. So far I've reviewed: Nicholas Nickleby - How To Eat Fried Worms - 12 Angry Men - The Village - The First Wives Club - Lady in the Water - The African Queen - and Prey. Since I've already reviewed two M. Night Shyamalan films, I thought now would be a good time to write about my favorite Shyamalan movie - Signs.

~ Movie Review ~

Signs
I watched this movie for the first time on DVD, shortly after it was released. I was watching it in the den with all the lights off, and it really gave me the creeps. I remember jumping in my seat more than once. The scene when Mel Gibson is using the butcher knife to look under the pantry door gets me every time. Those of you who have seen the movie know what I mean. It's creepy, and I don't even believe in aliens. The acting was first-rate, and the music, camera angles, and lighting all combine to add to the spooky atmosphere and suspense. The plot was pretty solid, and I liked the idea of a stealth attack, as opposed to the typical alien invasion movie - where everything starts with a "boom". It was on TNT tonight, and while I was watching it for the fifth time, I thought it would be a good time to write a review for it. I've seen four Shyamalan movies and this is the best, with "The Sixth Sense" coming in second place. Maybe later on I'll review it too.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The film is about a family that lives on a farm in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Graham Hess (Mel Gibson) is a former Episcopal priest who lost his faith after the death of his wife, Colleen. No longer practicing religiously, Graham lives with his brother, Merrill (Joaquin Phoenix), and his two children, Bo (Abigail Breslin) and Morgan (Rory Culkin). Things are fairly steady in his life until a mysterious crop circle appears in his cornfield. Its origin and purpose are unknown; some townspeople speculate that it may be a prank while a few others that it may have been created by intelligent alien life-forms. Soon Graham and his family are shocked to learn that similar crop circles have suddenly appeared all around the world in ways too similar and created too quickly to be merely a grand, elaborate hoax...
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I give this movie 4 and a half out of 5 stars. ****'


Don't forget your tinfoil hat...


~*Quote of the day*~

People break down into two groups when they experience something lucky. Group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance... See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?
Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?
Graham Hess (Mel Gibson):
M. Night Shyamalan


~*Word of the day*~

Go (Japanese)

Meaning: Five


Currently Listening to... "Shiver" - Maroon 5

No comments: